Who we are
Developing East Arnhem Limited (DEAL) is a not-for-profit development body established in November 2014 to act as the front door to the region for industry and business. We facilitate connections between private enterprise, industry, community and government agencies to support economic diversification and growth in the East Arnhem region for the benefit of the regional population.
Economic development activities involve the provision of support and advice to businesses and industry. Activities can include research and planning, partnerships, marketing, lobbying, training and networking with a view to stimulate local economic activity such as improved employment, productivity, and industry output.
What we do
Our vision is to support a self‐sustaining, resilient and prosperous region renowned for its dynamic economic opportunities, culturally diverse and creative community, and spectacular natural settings. DEAL works in alignment with this vision by:
- Promoting East Arnhem as a business and visitor destination.
- Supporting growth through advocacy and planning, particularly for Indigenous enterprise.
- Connecting business to industry and funding support.
- Maintaining a high standard of governance.
Practically, DEAL can assist with:
- Feasibility assessments and business cases
- Undertaking site identification and visits
- Introductions to local industry and regional partners
- Economic information, advice about business regulations and project approvals relevant to your project
- Facilitating access to infrastructure and housing
- Building networks with key agencies such as government
- Assisting with access to grant programs including the East Arnhem Economic Development Fund.
John Cossons (Chairman)
A proud Territorian, John is the Chairman of the People’s Choice Credit Union and serves on other Darwin-based boards and acts as the independent chair on several advisory boards providing advice in the education sector.
Andy is an independent mining consultant with over 25 years experience in the uranium, coal, copper, and aluminium sectors. Andy is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and is the Chair of the Energy Policy Institute of Australia. He has a strong affinity with the East Arnhem region, having lived in the area in the 1990s.
Ian Smith is the founding partner of Bespoke Approach, a leading corporate advisory firm that offers tailored solutions on regulatory, strategic communications and political issues to major domestic and international businesses. Ian was appointed in April 2013 to the Northern Territory Government’s economic development panel. He sits on several boards, including those involved in medical research and Indigenous affairs.
Helen is a Northern Territory local with over 25 years spent transforming technical innovation into practical commercial outcomes, and experience with local and international development initiatives. An Emeritus Professor of the University of Wollongong and Charles Darwin University. Helen has extensive experience as a CEO, Executive and Director in fields including education, food, science and technology.
Peta is DEAL’s Chief Executive Officer. Peta is a new resident to East Arnhem Land and brings with her over 20 years experience in Banking, Finance, Marketing & Sales Strategy, and, Financial Risk Management. She is excited to lead the DEAL team as it facilitates industry diversification in the region and supports sustainable business.
Sarah (Business Support) is a proud local with a passion to continue supporting work that drives the ongoing growth and development of East Arnhem Land. Sarah has a great depth of experience working with senior government officials in administration and project support, and will now work to support administration and project work with DEAL.
We work collaboratively with regional, government and business bodies to facilitate new economic activity in the East Arnhem region, and our success relies on the strength of these partnerships.
Key industry partners include:
- Northern Territory Government
- Rio Tinto
- Chamber of Commerce Northern Territory
- Northern Land Council
- Nhulunbuy Corporation Limited
- East Arnhem Regional Council
- Gumatj Aboriginal Corporation Ltd
- Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corporation
- Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation
- East Arnhem Land Tourist Association